The Ledyard High School Counseling and Guidance Department strives
to give each student individual attention and encouragement to achieve
his or her unique potential. Our mission is to prepare each student to
become a lifelong learner and responsible citizen through information
and activities that focus on his or her academic, personal, social and
The Ledyard High School Counseling and Guidance Department program
is founded on the belief that each student is unique and capable of
personal growth and self direction. Our program strives to provide a
range of experiences highlighting individual students’ interests, goals
and aptitudes. School counseling fosters effective communication
skills, nurtures a student’s sense of self awareness and encourages
students to take responsibility for their educational, career and life
choices. Our comprehensive and effective school counseling program is
collaborative in nature and depends on the continuing support of
students, parents, school staff and the community.
- Students will acquire the attitudes, knowledge and skills
that contribute to effective learning in school and across the
- Students will complete school with the academic
preparation essential to choose from a wide range of substantial
post secondary options, including college.
- Students will understand the relationship of academics to
the world of work and to life at home and in the community.
- Students will acquire the skills to investigate the world
of work in relation to knowledge of self and to make informed
- Students will employ strategies to achieve future career success and satisfaction.
- Students will understand the relationship between personal qualities, education and training and the world of work.
- Students will acquire the attitudes, knowledge and
interpersonal skills to help them understand and respect self and
- Students will make decisions, set goals and take necessary action to achieve goals.
- Students will understand safety and survival skills.